(This is an updated version of the original Notice, first issued on 7th January 2016)Notice is hereby given
that any incident
that reflects on the safe operation of Cowes Harbour is to be reported
immediately to the Harbour Master. Such incidents are considered to be those that involve:
• Damage to vessels;
• Movement of or damage to navigational marks or harbour structures;
• Damage to shore facilities that could affect the use of such facilities by other vessels;
• Close quarter situations between two or more vessels, which results in emergency action on the part of any of the vessels involved;
• Other 'near-miss' incidents with the potential to have caused injury or damage.
In these circumstances, an immediate report is to be made to the Harbour Master:
• By VHF Radio, call sign: 'Cowes Harbour Radio' on VHF Channel 69;
• By telephone 01983 293952 (office hours).
If requested, a written report is to be provided without delay to the Harbour Master. Members of the public are encouraged to submit accidents, incidents and potential risk reports using the convenient ‘Solent Commercial and Leisure Incident Report Form’ on the harbour website, which can be completed and submitted to: Cowes Harbour Commission, Harbour Office, Town Quay, Cowes, PO31 7AS or emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cowes Harbour Pilots and Pilotage Exemption Certificate holders must use the appropriate full report forms to report accidents, incidents and potential risks; these can also be downloaded from the harbour website
. In the event of any incident causing personal injury or involving safety of life at sea, the circumstances of which demand immediate action, then contact should be made with HM Coastguard who will then co-ordinate the emergency services. They can be contacted:
• By VHF Radio, call sign "Solent Coastguard", Channel 16 / 67
• Telephone 02392 552100
• LNTM No. 08 of 2016 - Marine Safety Management System - Reporting of Damage, Incidents and Potential Risk