(This notice supersedes notice No 30 of 2012, which is hereby cancelled)
Notice is hereby given
that all operations involving commercial divers or swimmers within the limits of Cowes Harbour must be approved by the Harbour Office or relevant Marina Manager prior to the operation commencing.
• All operations involving commercial divers must meet the requirements of the Diving at Work Regulations 1997.Diving
Diving contractors, Masters and Agents must ensure that a ‘Diving Request is completed and forwarded to the relevant office at least 24 hours before the operation. Approval must have been received and a radio check completed with call sign ‘HM1 on VHF Ch69’ for activities outside of the confines of a marina or on Ch80 with the relevant marina office immediately before the diving operation commences and a diver enters the water.Swimming
1. For the purpose of this Notice a ‘swimmer’ is defined as a person who enters the water to undertake a commercial operation within the Port area and who is not subject to the requirements of the Diving at Work Regulations 1997.
2. All Masters, Contractors and Agents must ensure that a written Safe System of Work, with appropriate Risk Assessments, is submitted to the appropriate office prior to commencing any commercial operation involving ‘swimmers’.
3. As a minimum, issues to be considered within the Risk Assessments are to include, but not be limited to:
• Scope of the task – boat scrubbing, surface work on piles, quay walls, outfalls, in the surf zone, on buoys etc.
• Team size – sufficient, qualified, competent, prepared etc.
• Equipment involved – wet suit or coveralls, foot protection, gloves, head protection, harness, lifeline, weight belt, knife, light, tools for the job etc.
• Operational elements – daylight only, access to the water, environmental effects, visibility, lookout, radio checks etc.
• Emergency measures – standby swimmer, recovery of injured personnel, availability of rescue craft, nearest medical facility, road transport availability etc.
4. Additionally, a ‘Diving or Swimming’ Request Form’ as attached, must be completed and forwarded to the relevant office at least 24 hours before the operation. Approval must have been received and a radio check completed immediately before a swimmer enters the water and the swimming operation commences.Communications
In all cases, communications on the appropriate channel (CH69 or Ch80) must be in place and must be checked with the relevant office before operations commence. A constant listening watch must be maintained throughout all stages of the operation.
A copy of the HSE Diving at Work 1997 Regulations: Commercial diving projects inland/inshore can be downloaded from the CHC website attached to this LNTM.Owners, Agents, Charterers, Marinas, Yacht Clubs and Recreational Sailing
Organisations should ensure that the contents of this Notice are made known to the masters or persons in charge of their vessels or craft.
• LNTM No 11 of 2016: Diving at Work Regulations 1997 and Commercial Operations Involving 'Swimmers'